Thursday, May 17, 2012

Conques 15 May

Conques 15 May



The contrasts with my last walk never cease to amaze me. Last time I made the descent into Conques in 30+ degrees heat and was a sweaty mess when I reached the gite. This time it has started to rain on my arrival, and all those "wintry" layers in my pack that have just been a weight on my back in the last five days of sunshine have suddenly been pressed into service!



Last time I arrived here the monastery was "complet"- full- and I stayed in the gite communale. But the shared meal etc here is supposed to be something very special so I am glad there is room for me today. I am sitting in the courtyard with a few others, sheltering from the rain, waiting for the welcome to start at 1400 hours. I have donned my jacket and polyprops over my shorts for now, so I am not really fit to be seen in tourist land outside this little enclave of pilgrims!



It was a good days walk. I started in Le Soulie, about 17km away, quite early, to help my chances of getting a bed here. It was just 2km downhill to the first village. The shop had opened by the time I reached the second village, and since it was a bit colder I bought some chocolate for the first time for five days. Chocolate always makes the march easier! Just as well, as there was a hefty climb out of Senergues. I remembered it instantly as soon as I saw it.



There was some beautiful countryside to see on the way here and now I am in the gem of a village that is Conques- one of France's very special treasures.



After donning some warmer clothes I visited the Tourist Office to get some info about whether I could get to Moissac from Conques in a day....I can...



Hospitaleros in the Monastery are just lovely. Quite a few people here that I have seen along the way, as well as many I haven't. Many limping a bit. One poor man in my dorm has realized he has been walking too far too fast and he plans to slow down. In Beth's famous words about the sevens..."it's a marathon, not a sprint."



Spent the afternoon wandering, looking at all the medieval buildings and marveling at the Abbey. Conques is one of the most magnificent places in France.







Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment