Monday, September 18, 2006

Kilkenny

I really liked Kilkenny for all sorts of reasons, but one of them was the music. There was quite a selection of small pubs on the main street where you could just wander in early in the week and listen to the musicians. These two very talented men were playing in a pub just across the road from the very central and friendly hostel I was staying in.

One of the reasons I went to Kilkenny is that my great-grandfather, James Lalor, came from Co Kilkenny. I have no idea about the townland or anything, just that it was somewhere in Kilkenny. Imagine my excitement when I was on a bus headed out to Thomastown for Jerpoint Abbey, when I passed this pub with the name J.Lalor on the front. You might hardly be able to see it, but the name is there!

No comments:

Post a Comment