Monday, December 23, 2019

Preparation for Europe...

This poor neglected blog will have a renaissance... I have several months leave coming up in April and am heading to Europe. I'll be visiting quite a few places to do with my family history, and also just enjoying some new sights. But pretty much everywhere I will be walking, so it is time to up my walking game here at home!

Here was today's walk- across our new He Ara Kotahi pedestrian/cycling bridge, along the riverside path, across the road bridge, then a loop back through the Esplanade.

Today I was very thankful for all the trees that gave me shelter from the sun, and the breeze along the river path that kept me cooler. I couldn't help but think of our Aussie cousins faced by such awful catastrophe, with so many trees and homes burned down.

 This was the path along the 'other' side of the Manawatu River, where we never used to be able to walk. I was glad for all the shade they gave at this time of day.

 These beautiful big trees stood in a paddock with crops growing. When I get into my walking groove, I always enjoy watching how things change as the seasons progress, so I'll be watching here.

 Once back across the Fitzherbert Bridge, I was again enfolded by shady trees, deciduous ones in this area that bring joy in autumn and spring, and stand stolid through the winter.

 There are always different plants flowering in the Esplanade, no matter what the time of year. I don't know what this plant is, but it reminded me a little of nikau flowering. I wonder if it is related?

 I headed back under the shade for the bush walk part of the Esplanade.

And finally I enjoyed these hydrangeas before I headed to my car...

No comments:

Post a Comment