Thursday, December 26, 2019

Another river route variation...

The great thing about walking along the Manawatu River pathway is that there are many variations and starting points.  Yesterday morning, Christmas Day, I started at Albert St, and headed towards the Fitzherbert Bridge, with a short diversion across the gravel. There was a sign about dotterels etc nesting, but I suspect it would be on a shingle bank on the other side of the river. Maybe another day soon I will take my zoom lens down with me...



 There are different views of the river from different places- here I am looking back towards the cliff they have 'tamed' where the new 'steps' are. I haven't been brave enough to try them but they were certainly busy on Christmas morning. Maybe I can choose a nice quiet time when nobody is likely to see me, once I have walked a few more hilly tracks.


I stopped off to see the stone with information about Hokowhitu Reserve. So much Maori land in this area just got siphoned off into European hands. It is a story we should all know more about.

OK so that was 4km instead of 3.6km. Tomorrow I think I will go for a swim. But hill walking needs to start soon~

No comments:

Post a Comment