Thursday, May 04, 2017

Heading north again

All too quickly it was time for an autumnal drive north again.
 I had a late lunch break at this cafe in historic Reefton.
 And again I enjoyed a stay in a cabin at Riverview Camp in Murchison, now with an autumnal tinge on some trees by the river bank.
 I breakfasted by Lake Rotoiti not long after sunrise...
 ... and enjoyed watching the eels under the jetty without a whole gaggle of other tourists :-)
 In Picton I had time to relax by the foreshore, and as it was Anzac Day, I saw the newly laid wreaths at the cenotaph.



 Before too long it was time to board the ferry home.
 My little car was right at the far end of the ferry, past the last trucks- but at least it was calm!

 We headed into Tory Channel...
 ...and soon were leaving the South Island behind. Soon after this photo I spied several small whales in the water! Someone else said he thought they were killer whales, and I guess they probably were, but I wondered if they were pilot whales as I never noticed the black and white. But I certainly saw them spouting and jumping before they disappeared into the Sounds and we entered the Strait proper.
The sun was setting as we got closer to our berth, and it seemed to be a busy time overhead for planes going to Wellington airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment