Sunday, January 30, 2011

Some holiday birds for Maalie

Ok Maalie, you wanted some bird shots from my holiday.  The challenge is to find the 'odd one out'. A prize for the best answer.


A gaggle of shags in Kaikoura.
Red billed gulls waiting patiently for my fish and chips on the beach in Kaikoura. 


A white-faced heron somewhere south of Kaikoura.
Two black oystercatchers on the beach at Okains Bay, part of a gaggle of 3. I presume the grey/black-legged one is a juvenile- would explain the dive-bombing of a distant, quiet photographer with a zoom lens by one of the 3, on several different occasions.

 Pied oystercatcher in the Lagoon at Okains Bay.
 A nice horse in the village. Don't tell it it isn't a bird, it might be offended.

 Sheep ready to take off into a flying position so might soon be a bird.
 A bird talking on the phone too long in Akaroa.


A bird back home in Palmy. Its natural colours seem to have been bleached by the summer sunshine.








(The runcible award goes to me today.)

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! The shags are of course Pied Shags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well, at least I got the 'shags' bit right! I thought I would get told off for calling them a gaggle- but I guess runcible ones get away with all sorts of stuff.

    ReplyDelete