Saturday, December 01, 2012

Auckland Walk

Last weekend I was in Auckland, and luckily the weather was good for a walk downtown on Saturday afternoon.  Here's a pretty random collection of photos from my brief time up there.

From many spots downtown you get a view of the Sky Tower, a feature of its cityscape that Aucklanders appear to be inordinately proud of. But this always puzzles me somewhat- why would you want to give such homage to a symbol of gambling?

I headed down towards the waterfront. At first I didn't like it too much, and I kept comparing it adversely with the Wellington waterfront area which I love, and which is so people-friendly for walking along. Here in Auckland the waterfront seemed dominated by lots of expensive boats in marinas, toys for the wealthy, and another homage to money.

 However, as I got closer to the Wynyard Quarter I came to love what I was seeing. It was all so random, and unexpected, with surprising little details at every turn. For instance, there was this striped walkway, dramatic underfoot.

 And although yachting isn't my thing, I found I still felt very excited when I saw this Team New Zealand inflatable coming into dock.

 And there were all sorts of odd places where people could sit. The sight of these two sets of legs made me laugh.

 I'd seen these towers on TV not long before I headed north- and was glad to stumble upon them as I walked. Interesting to look at, and the snippets of poetry on them were great to contemplate.

 I loved the 'roof' over this little pool. I put this photo on Facebook, and some friends didn't like it at all. But it seemed to suit the 'industrial' nature of this whole quarter, and I found it quite intriguing.

 Another random 'seat' down by the waterfront. 

As I headed away from the waterfront, I passed a huge number of marine stores, something you would only see in Auckland here in NZ. Goods seemed to range from these basic kayaks, right up to high-end marine electronics for the bigger yachts. 


I was keen to reach Victoria Park on my rambles, as I had good memories of the Victoria Market when I was younger, (much younger!) I knew they had been changed by motorway developments in the area, but I was surprised by how much. They looked really attractive from the outside, but the old 'hippy' heart and soul of the place had nearly disappeared. Instead of this being a place for local people to poke around in, it seemed like now it was much more up-market and aimed at tourists.



By now I was ready for a late-lunch break, and for check-in at my basic hotel on Wyndham St, on the same street as St Pat's Cathedral. This was an oasis of peace, with a very attractive little park behind it. I fell in love with the sculpture with running water that had a quote from Julian of Norwich on it- and returned to see this in the morning before I left for the airport.







I rested my feet a little, and enjoyed the view from my small 13th floor balcony, then headed up the hill to the Civic Theatre for the evening. This ornate building has been beautifully restored, and had surprises at every turn- one of relatively few treasures from a bygone era that still sits gracefully on Queen St. 

 
Font- in St Patrick's Square.

I always have ambivalent feelings about Auckland, but I enjoyed my weekend 'taster'. I noticed a board describing a walking route from one harbour to the other.... I'll be back one day before long to do it....

7 comments:

  1. Ever thought of a job promoting Auckland to tourists. Grand photos. Isn't Wynyard Quarter where the tram is? You didn't take a tram ride?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol they wouldn't want my ambivalent feelings about Auckland in any of their promotions! The tram does pass near Wynyard Quarter- I caught sight of it ahead of me then it turned a corner but I never had my camera out in time. Not sure how often or where exactly it runs- I never even knew there was a tram in Auckland. Amazing what you know that I have never heard about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another part of New Zealand that looks interesting! Some day we will get there!

    Michèle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say, I was surprised by how interesting it was!

      Delete
    2. When I looked Auckland up in Wikipedia, I was surprised by its size! Much bigger than I had imagined. And it is ranked fairly high in many city ratings.

      Michèle

      Delete
  4. I love the Wynyard Quarter. Every time I go to Auckland I try to go to see what's new - there's always something interesting. Did you get to the 'new' Art Gallery? It's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I basically only had an afternoon to explore. Needed to fly back earlyish in the morning to get cheap flights... Maybe 'next' time...

      Delete