Monday, March 05, 2012

Back in the Gorge

Sunday was Gorge day this weekend. After the rain and cold of Saturday (though the weather bomb fortunately passed us by) the sun was shining warmly as I headed onto the track. And the sunlight was just catching the wee waterfall you see as you emerge from the under-the-road passage.

You could see that progress had been made on the benching since the last time I was here, though the slip still looks very large.
I wonder if the road will be open by the time I return to New Zealand in July?

It's autumn now, so not so surprising to see fungus of various kinds along the track. This orange fungi is quite prominent- quite fluro, and stands out in the dark!
One thing that always amazes me is the sheer variety of fungi, many growing from rotten logs or tree trunks. I seem to often see kinds I have never seen before...

And I always like to see leaves lying on the track, caught by the light that is filtering through. So many little treasures to notice along the way...

6 comments:

  1. It is certainly a steep slope. Are they building like a terrace to stabilise it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the terrace you can see here is about the fifth one down from the top that they have made. They have discovered it is an old slip face, and it has taken months already to try and stabilise it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these photos, fungi for all!

    Michèle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been loving the vicarious French experience from your photos for these past weeks. Is it too cold and snowy back home to take photos??!

      Delete
  4. We arrived to -17 celsius but the snow level is much lower than I thought, maybe 10 cm in our back garden. Right now I am trying in vain to get over jet lag and wishing I had given next week as dates to get back into my volunteer work. They are predicting +12 celsius today. As for photos, we shall see on the weekend, happy you enjoyed the French experience!

    Michèle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -17C, now that is more like what you are used to in your winters! I am hoping for loads of spring sunshine when I arrive in Paris.

      Delete