Thursday, March 07, 2024

Lake Pukaki Foreshore Trail

After the previous day’s longish ride along the Tekapo Canal, I was quite glad to choose a shorter one next- the return trip along the Lake Pukaki Foreshore Trail.

When I reached the first lookout over the lake, on the highway from Tekapo, it was time to turn off down Hayman Rd, where after a km was the sign for a small carpark for the foreshore trail. 
 

I unloaded my bicycle from the car and I was off. 

It was a beautiful day for the ride- calm, sunny, and with great views across to the mountains.

 At the other end of the trail, some 8.5km away, there was a bike stand made with the plastic trays from the salmon farm I had seen the day before. (And yes, the fatter tyres on my bike didn’t rest easily on this, but could easily be leaned on the end.) 


On the map on the back of the sign, I could see that Twizel was only 11km away, but I kept to my ‘rest day’ plan for riding, in case it was a good day for the Hooker Valley walk next day.

The views were even better on the way back, though I met a few more cyclists, my timing coinciding with a paid group. 


The trail was well signposted for all though, in both directions.

My favourite spot along the trail was this little table, in a spot that was free from the campervan hordes! I sat and quietly enjoyed some morning tea before continuing back to my car. 


No comments:

Post a Comment