Thursday, March 07, 2024

Hooker Valley Track

 I have been on this track at least five times now- and only once before had the clear views that I was so grateful to experience this day. But this day had a combination of early mist and later clear skies that was absolutely magical.

From the camping ground at Glentanner, I could tell that the top of Aoraki was all clear, but a wide band of cloud was at the base. I drove towards the mountain, in clear skies at first, but then in heavy mist. I started the walk hopeful that things would clear as the morning progressed.

 

I was past the third bridge before glimpses of the mountains began to show. 

 


At the viewing place by the glacier lake, heavy mist was still around, but I decided to stick around with a bunch of others, in the hope that the mist would clear. 

And as things cleared, it was almost a mystical experience. 

 


Sunlight poked through and showed the ice chunks in the lake that I had not previously seen.

 







Peaks started to show themselves, then would be covered with mist again. 

 



Aoraki was the last to show herself. By about 11am all was clear.

I didn’t want to leave the viewing place and had to force myself to begin walking back downhill.


This time the bridges were clear instead of shrouded in mist. And as I descended hordes of mostly tourists were ascending, and I was glad that I had started earlier in the peace (and cool) of the morning. What a precious day. Ka Kite Aoraki.


 

 

2 comments:

  1. Wow just Wow!!! What a privilege to see what you described last night! STUNNING pics capturing a truly awesome experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really glad to have such a willing audience!!

    ReplyDelete