Friday, November 14, 2008

The Camino keeps following me!

One of the remarkable things about the Camino has been the re-discovery of contacts since I came home. While walking, I only shared my e-mail address with two people. But since I have come home, contact has been re-established with a whole bundle of people I walked with. People have tracked me down via other people, via photos on blogs, etc. The nature of the Camino was such that you sometimes walked with people for a few days, but then you never saw them again, as your pace of walking differed. But in those few days, you often came to know those people in a special way, as you walked together in the landscape, and/or shared evenings in the albergues/gites.

The latest 're-discovery' was yesterday. There was a French couple I met after three weeks of walking in France, "les DDs", who I saw often for the next month, but who 'disappeared' after Viana in Spain (near Logrono.) Three of us, who had often walked with them, wondered where they were, whether they had suffered an accident, or whether some event at home had meant they had to leave the Camino. It was their plan to walk from home to Santiago, then walk home again.

As it turns out, though we never saw them again after Viana, we only just missed them in Santiago, where they arrived on July 7th. That was the day we took the bus to Finisterre, then I left early the next morning to take the train to France. They had a fortnight's rest in Santiago, then began the return walk home, arriving back where they lived in France on October 31st, seven months after leaving home. I am proud of the 1500km I walked. But it pales into insignificance against their 3600km!!!

Trouble is, they only speak French, so I need to e-mail them in French, and I am already forgetting my French fast! Just as well there is such a thing as Babelfish these days!!!

2 comments:

  1. That is so nice to catch up with friends. I keep taking emails from people but mostly holiday friendships fizzle out, but I do have a few very dear friends I met on meditation courses and yoga classes!

    Hope your weather is improving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that is why I never bothered to take people's e-mails... because I know usually holiday contacts don't carry on. I guess the way the contacts have 'grown' says something about the way you come to know some people you walk with on the Camino.

    Yep...have just had a few wonderful warm days, but supposed to deteriorate again tomorrow - but hopefully not too much today as I am about to head out tramping...

    ReplyDelete